Update on Dad

My husband spent the night in the intensive care unit with dad while mom and my sister-in-law went home to catch some sleep. Dad slept through the night, but he had another bad spell again at 5 AM with difficulty breathing. He needed deep suctioning. He is resting peacefully now. There is no change other than that. He is unaware of those around him, taking oxygen and IV fluids around the clock. The nurses say he is not in pain, for which we rejoice.

We must continue to pray and wait.

Mom and my sister-in-law arrived at the hospital this morning at 6:30 AM, and my husband is on his way home.

My daughter slept with me last night. We held each other in the night–mother and daughter–staving off the gnawing pain of loss and the dark cloud of death that is enveloping us now as Papa wrestles between life and death.

The promises of God are especially sweet now, and I understand in crisis why God’s Word is called the “bread of life.” It is that which sustains when nothing else will.

“I am the resurrection and the life. He who believes in me, though he were dead, yet shall he live.”

6 Comments Add yours

1. Debra Leckie says:

Wayne, Bonnie and Julia,
    I am so sorry that you are having to go thru this time. I know so well how your heart aches. I also know what a comfort it is to know that your Dad is in God’s hand and that the Lord is taking care of him. Please know that Bill and I are praying for your Dad and all of your family. May God’s peace dwell in the hospital room and surround your dad and everyone who enters.

2. Toni Alexander says:

Just want you guys to know that my heart is heavy for you. Though we are strong in the Lord, it is a deep sorrow to think about losing our family members. Prayers sustain us in these times and I wanted you to know I am doing that. If there is anything else I can do, I want to do it. I don’t want to intrude in these last moments with your father/father-in-law so I will call you later to find out how I can minister to you and your family. I would like to bring you guys some food, but I will wait until you get through this time. If you need it now, I can make it happen. I love you and want to help in any way possible.

3. Bettye B says:

“We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ”

Praying for all of you constantly.

Love, Bettye B

4. Jerri Benjamin says:

God’s Word indeed sustains us. We are praying for you and the family. Thank you, Abba, for your grace and peace surrounding every single family member during this difficult time.
    Blessings,
    Jerri and Gary

5. Beverly says:

Our continued prayers are with all of you.

6. Becky Nichols says:

Dear Wayne and Bonnie and Julia,

We are so sorry you are having to go through this difficult time right now. We just want you to know that we are praying for you all and your Mom, too, Wayne. She is such a precious woman. The words and thoughts you have shared have been so beautiful and touching. May you all continue to feel the arms of our Lord around you. We agree with your prayers for the Lord’s will to be done.

Love and blessings,